Exposure to MOLD spores, even in small amounts, may cause or contribute to the following:
- itching and/or irritation of the nose, eyes, throat, or skin
- upper respiratory (sinus infections and/or sinusitis) conditions
- lower respiratory (asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia) conditions
What causes mold to grow?
Mold requires 3 key requirements in order for it to grow:
- Food Source
- The right temperature b/w 55° - 110° F.
This is why wall cavities are a perfect environment for mold growth.
What is the definition of Remediation?
Remediation - The removal and discarding of impurities.
Do all mold problems require professional guidance?
No! The EPA clearly states that a visibly moldy area covering 10 square feet or less can be handled by an individual using appropriate protection (gloves, N95 throw away mask etc…).
At what point should a property owner consult with a remediation/ environmental firm for advice?
- If property owner is unable to solve the moisture.
- If there are musty odors present and/or visible mold growth covering over 10 square feet.
What is my first step towards solving my moisture and mold problem?
Contacting a professional/certified remediation firm to visit property and perform a thorough evaluation of the property.
How much should I pay to have my property evaluated?
An evaluation should not cost anything. An environmental investigation by a Certified Hygienist or Microbiologist is worthy of billing.
Is mold toxic?
The actual fungi and the mycotoxins the mold spores release can be toxic. Please see EPA & CDC links for more details.